Sunday, January 22, 2012

2011 - First Timers

2011 came and gone too soon. Many "first time" events occured in 2011. Whether these 'first time' events were tough or smooth flowing, a bad or a good event - truly these have given me a new sight of life!


1stly 2011 CNY was awesome with a toddler in our family. For some time, CNY was getting to be a chore to get through. Now with a toddler at home, we could feel the atmosphere was totally different. Visitings became more fun as the focus would be on the baby and her cuteness.

Still in the 1st quarter, we were slapped with an unpleasant surprise in my organisation with the new implementation of corporate ranking. Their advice was to forget the old and embrace the new. This didn't went well to many and lots of question went unanswered even till today. No matter what we are called, end day we still have a job to do to earn a living. From this, I realize that age of a person is just a number. I always thought that the older we get, maturity comes automatically and we therefore expects those who are elder than us, would be able to embrace challenges with greater maturity. This incident has changed my perception of maturity. Anyhow, we bite the bullet and things moved one.


But not for too long, again we were slapped with an unexpected change. Some perceived this change was a disaster in waiting. To some, this has been expected! Again, we have a job to do, and whether this change is expected or not - we have to embrace and take it as a positive one.

Out of a sudden, I was already boarding the plane and headed towards Perth with 2 of my close friend and her family. There were 6 of us including 2 kids. The kids were excited to board the plane. I have visited Perth numerous times. Each time, I was alone to meet up with my sis and her family. This time, I brought a bunch! I have never drove in Perth without my sis until this trip. I have not seen and experienced Perth the way I did in this trip. Yup, this was also one of my most high spending trip in Perth but it was all worth it. The only regret was time was short. Truly, it is not about the location but the people who makes the trip - different!





Since April 2011, I have started to beef up my stamina to take on Mt Kinabalu challenge in June. We had purposely ran up and down of Bt Caves stairs, picked up the habit of hiking Bkt Gasing, Ah Pak San and intensified my gym. That day came very fast. 4 of us were first timer to KK. None of us could share what to expect. The guide picked us up and he discouraged us to take the longer route since we were first timers.


Well, perhaps we were too gung-ho so we bo chup the guide and just die die took the longer route! The night before the hike, 4 of us had an early dinner at the foothill and slept @ 9pm+ cause there were no entertainment at all! We were so excited the next morning. Our bags to be carried up were like luggages instead of a camp bag! We paid over RM100 for our bags to be carried by the potter. They charged RM10 per kg. So, you can imagine how heavy our bags.


8 kms to reach the mid point where we will be spending a nite. We started at 9am. Each km, we stopped to rest. Chocolate was like marijuna at that time. It makes you happy and gives you strength to move on! By 3pm, we have reached a point where our sweats started to freeze. The flora and the surroundings were absolutely gorgeous. It was like 'heaven'...We took deep deep breath as the air was so refreshing! The last 2kms were quite unbearable as the route get steeper and also uneven with many big rocks to overcome. Finally, we reached the mid point at 6pm. The surroundings were unbelievable. We were so amazed. At that point, it was getting cold. Our dinner which consisted of rice and a few simple dishes, were a though a 9 course dinner. We whacked 'kow kow'. We did not realize we were so hungry as 9-6pm, we only had chocolates, banana, apple and sandwiches.





When we reached our dorm, we quickly had a icy cold bath and slept at 8pm! We set alarm to wake @ 12am. Due to thin air, I had headache. Took a pill and went back to sleep. By 2am, we set off for the peak! It was super dark. We only depend on our headlights where visibility was only 2m. Along the hike, we have to climb with ropes, crawled and embraced the strong wind and rain. The temperature dropped tremendously but because we were actively climbing, the cold was bearable. The 3 went off quickly. Left me with the guide. The journey was very tough. Dark, cold, raining and vision was 1-2m away. After hiking for 2-3 hours in the dark, I can even count my steps. Every 10 steps, I have to take deep breaths. After 30 - 40 steps, I will have to lie down on the ground to rest for 2-3mins before continuing. You can't rest too long as you will freeze and your muscle will be very reluctant to move! 1km away, the peak is visible. It took another 1 hour+ to reach. I thank God for the guide for being such an encouragement and helped me to make it to the peak.




At 530am, I was 4o95m above sea level. I made it! It was awesome. The feeling was undescribable. His creation is just superb. There is no way, you can get that kinda feeling I had at the peak. The hardwork and breathless hike worth it all. In less than 15mins, we made our way down. The climbing down was worst than going up. From 530am, we decended and reached mid point at 1030am. After a quick breakfast, we continue to head back to foothill. The experience of coming down was daunting! I reached foothill about 6pm where my 3 counter parts have reached an hour before me! Well, apart from the great experience I also gained sun burned on my neck..so bad that the skin turned black! Also we were rewarded with 2 certs for having to conquer the peak and took the longer route. AWESOME!


2011, I took the opportunity to cuti cuti Malaysia with mom and friends. We headed to Penang for a few days for makan makan fun. Then also drove to Melaka and tried all sorts. The few months were just purely putting on weights! I am happy that I am able to bring mom for these trips. I couldn't remember when was the last time mom goes for local trips.






While I was driving from Penang to KL, a conversation reminded me that I have an unfinish task which I have put aside for 5 years! With much thought and consideration, I took up the courage and face my last paper for CIMA. After so many years I did not study, my confidence level is low. Each week, whenever I started to revise, I would asked myself, why am I torturing myself ?! But by His grace and it is only with His grace, the endurance pays off. I made it! The joy was unspeakable as finally I have completed what I have started more than a decade ago. When I looked back, I believe God had somehow send His 'messenger' to remind me that He has not forgotten my prayer ie to complete my professional degree. For this, I am blessed that He has not forgotten my prayer and I am thankful for the 'messenger'!




Before the year ended, a bunch of us went to BKK. Again God answered our prayer. Our trip was booked before the flood. The timing was perfect. Not just that the flood subsided, the weather was superb making the trip so fun and memorable! We shop till pokai! What great fun.




In 2011, FOF has found a new place and things are moving fast. From being just a chairman of the service, I have started to share. I viewed this task as heavy and a test to me on how much I really know God after so many years of walking with Him. Every month when it comes to my turn, I would be very jittery. It is like taking exams every month. You need to revise. Need to run through over and over again. Need to pray hard so that the message is God's message and not human. And as you share, you need to be focus and not out of the topic while dozens of eyes looking at you. Each time when I ended, I am so relieved that I have completed what He has entrusted me to do. I do know that I just got to take on and be obedient to His calling no matter how daunting this task can be! Again, only with His grace, therefore I am able.

Not forgetting, this year is also the year where we celebrated Ah Leong's birthday and tung together with Ah Leong's family. I am so touched that Daniel's wife has invited my family and myself. It is truly beyond joy to have family gather together and celebrate special occassions. I do pray more to come. Both families means the world to me and I am thankful for them.





Well, 2011 was a year with so many experiences which I believe I can carry these to 2012 and rest of my life. That does not mean, I have learned everything tho. More to come and not by my might nor my power but by His spirit, nothing is impossible!

1 comment:

Happy walker said...

that's great, all the best!